Wizkid, whose real name is Ayodeji Ibrahim Balogun, was awarded ‘Best African Act’ at the 2021 MTV Europe Music Awards (MTV EMAs) held on 14 November in Budapest, Hungary.
KAMPALA | LIFESTYLE UGANDA (https://lifestyleuganda.com/) — Wizkid, the worldwide superstar from Nigeria, won the ‘Best African Act’ Award at the 2021 MTV Europe Music Awards (MTV EMAs). The ceremony took place at Budapest’s Papp László Budapest Sportaréna on 14 November.
- Wizkid takes home the ‘Best African Act’ award at the 2021 MTV Europe Music Awards.
- During his virtual acceptance speech, Wizkid thanked the EMAs for the award.
- At the 2021 MOBO Awards, Wizkid was shortlisted for the ‘Best International Act’.
- Check out Makeup store Uganda on Google at https://g.page/r/CYVELHaL0gIcEAE.
To win this award, Wizkid competed against other African artists such as Tems (Nigeria) and Amaarae (Ghana) as well as Diamond Platnumz (Tanzania) and Focalistic (South Africa).
This ceremony showcases outstanding artists, especially those from Europe and the rest of the world, presented by Viacom International Media Networks.
During a virtually recorded acceptance speech, Wizkid said, “I just want to say a big thank you to the EMAs.”
- Advertisement -
Monde Twala, senior vice president and general manager of ViacomCBS Networks Africa, commented: “Wizkid’s win at the EMAs underscores Africa’s rise to prominence in the global music scene, Music has the power to unite the world and this year’s winner has truly embodied that concept with ground-breaking collaborations and inspirational messaging.”
With his 2021 MTV Europe Music Awards win, Wizkid continues a streak of outstanding performances that have been bolstered by the worldwide success of his album ‘Made in Lagos’ which includes the smash hit ‘Essence’ featuring Tems.
At the UK’s 2021 Music of Black Origin (MOBO) Awards, Wizkid was shortlisted for both the ‘Best African Music Act’ and ‘Best International Act’ awards.
- Advertisement -
As of October, Billboard Magazine and Rollingstone confirmed that ‘Made in Lagos’ was a candidate for the ‘Best Global Album Award,’ at the 2022 Grammys which his colleague Burna Boy won in March.
Furthermore, Ed Sheeran was awarded the Best Artist and Best Song awards for his song ‘Bad Habits’, while US singer Lil Nas X won the Best Video award for “MONTERO (Call Me By Your Name)”.
BTS, a South Korean boy band, was the top winner on the night, winning several awards including Best Pop, Best K-Pop, Best Group and Biggest Fans.
- Advertisement -
Check out the complete list of winners at the MTV EMAs 2021.
- Ed Sheeran
- Ed Sheeran – “Bad Habits”
- Lil Nas X – “MONTERO (Call Me By Your Name)”
- Doja Cat ft. SZA – “Kiss Me More”
- David Guetta
Best Hip Hop
- Nicki Minaj
- Olivia Rodrigo
Video for Good
- Billie Eilish – “Your Power”
MTV EMA Generation Change Award
- Amir Ashour
- Matthew Blaise
- Sage Dolan-Sandrino
- Erika Hilton
- Viktória Radványi
2021 MTV EMA Local Winners
- Best African Act – Wizkid (Nigeria)
- Best Australian Act – Ruel
- Best Brazilian Act – Manu Gavassi
- Best Canadian Act – Johnny Orlando
- Best Caribbean Act – Bad Bunny
- Best French Act – Amel Bent
- Best German Act – Badmómzjay
- Best Hungarian Act – Azahriah
- Best India Act – DIVINE
- Best Italian Act – Aka 7even
- Best Israeli Act – Noa Kirel
- Best Japan Act – Sakurazaka46
- Best Korea Act – Aespa
- Best Latin America-North Act – Alemán
- Best Latin America-South Act – Tini
- Best Latin America-Central Act – Sebastian Yatra
- Best New Zealand Act – Teeks
- Best Nordic Act – Tessa (Denmark)
- Best Polish Act – Daria Zawialow
- Best Portuguese Act – Diogo Piçarra
- Best MTV Russia Act – Max Barskih
- Best Southeast Asia Act – JJ Lin (Singapore)
- Best Spanish Act – Aitana
- Best Swiss Act – Gjon’s Tears
- Best U.K. & Ireland Act – Little Mix
- Best U.S. Act – Taylor Swift
This article is supported by Makeup Store Uganda, a Cosmetics Store in Kampala with original makeup products from Europe. They are located at Equatorial shopping mall, level 2 shop no 272, and you may contact them via WhatsApp at +256793851784 or by phone at +256789436581.